Welcome to Chestnut class!
We are taught by Miss. Shepherd and supported by Miss. Corps and
Mr. Grosvenor in the morning.
Here you can find important information such as upcoming events, notices and details about homework.
Dates for your diary:
Mumbery NSPCC Colour Fun Run - Friday 17th May
Our topic this half term: WWII
Make Do and Mend
After half term we will be "Making Do and Mending" - the children will be making something new from something old in the spirit of World War 2 making do. They will plan what to make before half term, and will need to collect the necessary materials over half term. They have to make something useful, and cannot buy anything that they might need - it has to be recycled. We have warned them not to "borrow" anything without asking first!
Year 5 Homework
Due in Monday 10th June (in time for our WWII Tea Party!)
Choose an aspect of the war you would like to find out more about.
- Role of women in the war (Land army, codebreaker at Bletchley Park…)
- World war 2 aeroplanes/ tanks/ships etc.
- Causes of the Second World War
- The Blitz
- Key event/ battle (not Battle of Britain or D-Day)
- … any other aspect of the war that you are interested in finding out about.
All the finished projects will be exhibited at the VE celebration tea party so it will need to be of a high standard.
Your finished project may take the form of:
- A 3D model with explanation (gas mask with booklet, Anderson shelter, model allotment with information…)
- An information board (think of the ones we used for the quiz on our WW2 workshop day – could include diagrams, maps, facts, quotes…)
- Booklet/ diary/collection of letters
- No PowerPoints for this project please! All children’s work will be displayed for our exhibition in the hall.
This term Chestnut class will have PE Tuesday afternoon and Friday afternoon. Please ensure all kit is labelled and in school at all times.
Mathematics is given out Wednesday and due back the following Monday. Homework will vary between worksheets and Mathletics set online.
Children should be practicing times tables weekly!
Spellings are given out Monday to be tested on Friday.
All spellings will be available every week on our class page.
Please can children be reading as often as possible at home as well as regular times table practise.
Spelling Rule: Words with /ear/ sound spelt with ‘ere’